5 Tips for the MompreneurBy Stephanie Saia on May 2nd, 2013 /
Most women will agree that being a mother is the most difficult, yet rewarding, job we will ever have. Being a mother, having a day job and inventing a product? Now that’s just insane, but I’m one mompreneur who wouldn’t have it any other way.
The idea of the Chair-iot came to me almost four years ago on the Fourth of July. I was at a fireworks display and as I watched the people around me, I realized that everyone was pulling their coolers and wagons while carrying their chairs. That’s when it occurred to me that there wasn’t a similar product on the market for portable chairs and my idea for the Chair-iot took off in ways I never thought imaginable.
The Chair-iot is a weather resistant wheeled carrier that many people use to transport chairs and other valuables to parades, parks, sporting events or tailgates. It can be used to hold portable chairs, but it can also store or transport sports equipment, event planning equipment, band instruments and anything else you can think of!
It seems like our lives become more fast-paced every day, and if the Chair-iot relieves just a little bit of that stress, I’ve done my job.
But nothing about this business venture was easy. First and foremost, I am a mother. It’s not easy to be a working mother. It’s even harder to be a working mother with a startup business of your own. It was very important for me to follow my entrepreneurial dreams for more than one reason, though. I wanted to set and reach my own goals for personal reasons, but it was also important for me to show my two children that anything is possible. I hope that by being a good mother and working hard to be successful at my job while launching and growing a successful business, they will be inspired to follow their own dreams.
It’s easier said than done though, which is why there are a few tips every mompreneur should know.
1. Have a Plan. Whether you’re launching a new business or organizing your child’s soccer tournament, you must always have a detailed plan of action. The importance of creating a business plan is never overstated. Set realistic goals for your business or product and determine what steps need to be taken in order to accomplish those goals. No dream is too large if you have the passion and determination to reach it, but you have to go through steps 1-9 before you get to step 10
2. Set Goals. It seems easy enough, but setting realistic goals can often be more difficult than we realize. If you set a goal that is impossible to reach, you are more likely to become discouraged and possibly give up if it’s not accomplished. You need to set goals that fit within your lifestyle. If you’re a working mother, understand that you have obligations that other entrepreneurs don’t and adjust your goals accordingly. Don’t set yourself up to fail by setting unrealistic goals. Give yourself the best chance to be successful!
3. Plan Ahead. Plan your schedule at least one week in advance. As we know all too well, we get busy juggling everything that’s going on in our lives. We’re either driving our kids to school, ballet lessons or football practice and still trying to manage and grow our businesses while trying to get dinner on the table. Simply put, it can be extremely overwhelming. But if you plan your schedule one week in advance, you will manage your time better, be more productive and relieve a lot of stress
4. Balance, Balance, Balance. As mothers, we face battles every day trying to balance our families, work, friends and any extracurricular activities we may have. No matter how busy your life gets, always find or make time to do things that make you happy. Spend time with your family, eat dinner at the table, go to the movies, get a manicure, take a walk, eat ice cream, go horseback riding, whatever puts a smile on your face. These little things will help you stay sane during the work deadlines and late night business meltdowns
5. Follow Your Dreams. Do this for yourself. Do this for your children. Many people lose sight of their goals and dreams as the years pass. No matter what you want to accomplish, you owe it to yourself to take the plunge and go for it. You will experience failure, but you will experience success and the most wonderful feeling of self-pride knowing that at the end of the day, you didn’t leave anything on the table. Think about what this will teach your children as well. Watching you chase your dreams will inspire your children to do the same. And isn’t that the most important legacy we can leave behind?
Do you know any mompreneurs who are succeeding in Michigan? Share with us in the comments below.
Photo via bonniecribbs.com.