Co-lab Detroit: Detroit Celebrates First Co-Working WeekBy Amanda Lewan on January 8th, 2014 /
As a freelance writer and digital entrepreneur, there’s one thing that I’ve had to learn the hard way: you can’t do it all on your own.
As a writer, I need great editors to lean on with questions and feedback. As a digital entrepreneur, I need others to provide support in areas I don’t excel in.
It’s great to have the emotional support of peers, to be able to receive feedback from other professionals, and to have access to resources and networking events. I am very grateful that co-working at Bamboo Detroit has helped provide me with this support to grow.
In Detroit, we have an estimated 13 co-working spaces, many listed on our recently updated Michigan Business Incubator and Co-Working Space list. Seven of these spaces are gathering together to celebrate a week of co-working, called Co-Lab Detroit.
During this week, the spaces will each host an event related to co-working with them or collaborating. You can visit the brand new space at TechTown Detroit, Junction 440, on the recently renovated first floor of its historic 440 Burroughs Street facility in Midtown. You can visit Detroit’s new tech training institute Grand Circus for a free coding class. Their company was recently chosen as part of the Google For Entrepreneur’s program.
Some are these creative spaces are home to startups, others are home to creative design and architecture programs like Practice Space. There’s a unique variety of creative spaces in Detroit, and the aim of this week long event is to foster collaboration between freelancers, startups, and professionals.
Here’s the Co-Lab schedule:
- Jan 20th— Bamboo Detroit, 1442 Brush Street, open 6:00 p.m. -9:00 pm.
- Jan 21st – Junction440, 440 Burroughs St, open 6:00 p.m. -9:00 pm.
- Jan 22nd – An Office in Detroit, 2727 2nd Avenue, open 12:00 p.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Jan 22nd – Bizdom 1528 Woodward, open 6:00 p.m. -9:00 pm.
- Jan 23rd – Practice Space, 2801 14th Street, open 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Jan 23rd – Grand Circus, 1570 Woodward, open 6:00 p.m. -9:00 pm.
- Jan 24th – Co-Lab Spaces. Participating spaces are open for a day of free co-working. Spaces are limited and participants must register in advance.
- Jan 24th – OMNICORP DETROIT after party, 1205 Division, open 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
Check out the website at www.colabdetroit.com to register for an event during this week. Thanks to the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation for sponsoring the event.
Do you participate in co-working? Have you found it helpful?