Accelerate Michigan Winners AnnouncedBy Amanda Lewan on November 18th, 2013 /
Last week’s Accelerate Michigan competition awarded over $1 million in prizes to entrepreneurs. More than 50 entrepreneurs and 35 students competed in this year’s event.
The grand prize winner who received $500,000 in cash was the web and mobile student athletics platform Varsity News Network of Grand Rapids. The startup is building a way to connect and promote high school athletics — think a smaller version of ESPN for high school sports.
Founder and CEO Ryan Vaughn says they’ll be able to use the money to expand their product and mobile platform.
“Our mobile app is the next big step towards our goal… to provide unprecedented access to the triumphs, stories, media, and memories that shape the lives of student athletes and their families; we could not be more excited,” said Ryan.
Watching the pitches was overwhelming. All types of companies including biomedical companies, online platforms, and a variety of new products like an iPhone case with retractable headphones and a safer smart gun lock were pitching throughout the three day event. Below are the rest of the winners.
First Place – Varsity News Network received the grand prize of $500,000 in cash.
Second Place – Covaron Advanced Materials was awarded the $100,000 runner-up prize.
Third Place – REL, Inc. received $50,000 for third place.
Company Sector Awards & Winners – $25,000 Cash Prize
· NextEnergy Transportation and New Mobility Award – Wave Aircraft
· DTE Alternative Energy Award – Inmantech, Inc.
· Masco Advanced Materials Award – Lite Brake
· Comcast Information Technology Award – PlanReaction
· Life Science Award – Cure Launcher
· Medical Device Award – ENT Biotech Solutions
· Next Generation Manufacturing Award – AutoBike
· Products & Services Award – PinDrop, Inc.
People’s Choice Award – $10,000 Cash Prize
· Turtle Cell
Student Competition Awards & Winners
· Soletics – Grand Award Winner, $25,000
· SIB Medical Technologies, LLC – Second Prize Award Winner, $15,000
· AirFuel – Third Prize Award Winner, $10,000
Congrats to the winners! Make sure you mark your calendars for the next Accelerate Michigan.
Photo via Accelerate Michigan.