6 Michigan Companies Making the World WarmerBy Amanda Lewan on December 1st, 2014 /
You have to love a Pure Michigan summer followed by a Pure Michigan winter. While there’s beauty in a snowy winter season, one can’t really enjoy it without the right clothing to stay warm and safe.
Before you hit the stores in preparation for the next polar vortex, there are quite a few Michigan made options that can help you stay warm this winter. Some of these companies have been established for quite a while, but most are startups trying to help make the world a warmer place.
Check out these six Michigan made companies this winter, and stay warm!
1. The Empowerment Plan. Located in Detroit, this non-profit was started by the young Veronika Scott who designed a sleeping bag that could also turn into a warm winter coat. Originally a product designed for the homeless, Veronika then went on to hire and train homeless women in the city to help manufacture the coats in Detroit. She’s received national attention for her work, and the coats are pretty awesome. Check out more on the Empowerment Plan.
2. Carhartt. For over 125 years this Michigan Maker has been producing high quality clothing. The company has stayed in the family, following the original Founder’s request. Well known for their hunting gear, Carhartt makes a variety of warm jackets for the winter too. Learn more about Carhartt.
3. Warmilu. This unique Ann Arbor startup has created a warming blanket ideal for youth and elderly. Inside this blanket is a heating pack that stays warm without any electricity. Say goodbye to the electric blanket! This technology is safer and smarter for those looking for a more efficient way to stay warm. Read more about Warmilu.
4. Merit. If you’re looking for a casual sweater or hoodie, look no further than Merit based in Ann Arbor. This company gives back to students with every purchase, aiming to help students in need get on track to college. They’ve got a quite the collection of clothing. So far their sales have raised just over $14,000 in tuition for youth. Check out Merit.
5. Gryphon Gear. If you like to be outdoors but need the best winter protection, this is a great local choice. The sleeping bags and gear were designed for hikers to withstand any cold and harsh weather. Founded by a former NASA Scientist, Dr. Benninger describes his product as a mix of science, craftsmanship and over 4o years of outdoors experience. Check out Gryphon Gear.
6. Moosejaw. Headquartered in Madison Heights, Moosejaw has become a favorite when it comes to warm winter coats. Originally founded in 1992, this company has grown to open stores around the country and has been recognized for their online marketing. Check out more from Moosejaw.
What other Michigan companies are helping keep you warm?